August 22, 2008

Weekly Featured Artist - Mona of Sewing Granny - Handcrafted Gifts & Quilts


This week we have the pleasure of getting to know Mona - the Sewing Granny herself. Mona not only has her Etsy shop packed full of gorgeous handmade items but says "I do custom orders all the time - so please feel free to contact me! I’d love to work with you on style, pattern, color and materials. Everyone has their own style and you deserve to show it off!"

Tell us all about yourself and your craft?
I am a mother of a 28 year old son, have a 7 year old grandson and have been with my partner for 30 years! After working for a long time as a laborer I returned to college and became a correctional officer. I love to sew and quilt ...this has lead to my opening my shop on Etsy...I do alot of custom work and have my crafts in a number of craft shops on consignment. In the future, my dream is to have a shop of my own and craft full time!

How long have you been creating your craft?
I started quilting when I became a correctional officer 13 years ago and that lead to sewing other items.


What is one of the biggest lesson you have learnt about your craft & selling it?
You never know what will sell....what I think will not does.... enjoy making it and if you do not then do not do it....LOL...I am not going to get rich at it!!!

Which of your items did you have the most fun creating & why?
My favorite would be the blue sampler quilt I made for myself but never finished in time to use...I changed my room decor before I was done hand quilting. There is a picture of it on Flickr HERE, My best friend and I did it together...it was our girl's night out!


Is there a basic ‘household’ item you use when creating that seems to work just as good if not better than the actual ‘tool’?
I use a wooden spoon to help turn things inside out for example my oval placemats....and when I get started sewing there is not a surface in my home and out (decks, patio table, clothes line) that does not get used!

What is your favorite candy bar & why?
Well, chocolate is not my thing but do not put a bag of Ruffle chips in front of me...yummm...and the saltier the better.








If money, responsibilities, and time were no issues where in the great wide world would you go & why?
I am not a traveler but I would love to go to Nashville and see some of my favorite country and western stars!

Stop by and say hi to Mona at www.sewinggranny.etsy.com and I bet you'll find that next gift you were looking for. Oh and Mona is so organised she has started listing items for to make your home that little bit more festive for the Christmas season HERE.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great feature, Amy!! I love being part of the FAM family...such great support and friends!