August 17, 2008

Weekly Featured Artist - April of Apple Blossom Designs


Thank you to April so much for chatting with us, your pieces are gorgeous and as April states "each jewelry item is made to be unique and will not be duplicated" so you know you are getting a truly one of a kind item!

Tell us all about yourself and your art?
My name is April, I'm a SAHM to 2 girls, ages 6 and 2. I've been married to my DH, Eric for almost 9 years. I love to cook and bake (mostly bake), and I really want to go to culinary school. I have 5 tattoos, and I'm just getting started!! I make beaded stuff. You'll find everything from necklaces, bracelets and earring to key chains, zipper pulls and hair accessories in my shop. I'm currently planning on adding Swarovski initial bracelets for kids and some "different" bookmarks to my shop.

How long have you been creating your art?
My sister-in-law got me hooked on beading on a visit to her house around 5 or 6 years ago. I was hooked in an instant! I started out making things mostly for myself, or as gifts for my family. I just decided around the beginning of this year to take the plunge and attempt selling.


What is one of the biggest lesson you have learnt about your art & selling it?
I'm still learning the selling part, as far as not getting discouraged my slow/no sales. It's very hard to stand out in the vast sea that is jewelry on Etsy. As far as creating, most ideas just kind of unfold. Most of the time they work, other times I've got to try more than a few times to make something come out the way I intended.

Which of your items did you have the most fun creating & why?
I have to say the kids' bug necklaces were the most fun to create. My mom had a page of a magazine torn out with large beaded bugs that were garden stakes. I thought the idea was cute, but didn't groove on the whole garden stake thing. So, I figured scale it down and make it a charm for a kids' necklace. I give each one a personality and a "B" name.


Is there a basic household item you use when creating that seems to work just as good if not better than the actual tool?
It's not very exciting, but I use a plastic spoon as my bead scoop. I also have found that a clean plastic mushroom container makes a great "garbage bowl" (for those familiar with Rachael Ray) for waste wire and stuff.

What is your favourite candy bar & why?
That's a hard one. I love chocolate. I would have to say the dark chocolate Snickers. Who doesn't love a good Snickers bar, and well everything is better in dark chocolate.


If money, responsibilities, and time were no issues where in the great wide world would you go & why?
Italy, no hesitation. I would move there tomorrow if it was possible. My dad's family is from Naples and Ferraro. I've been dreaming of going since I was in High School and almost got to go as a foreign exchange student. I'm determined that someday, somehow I'll make it!

Pop on over to April's shop www.appleblossomfl.etsy.com and if you are quick all purchases over $10 for the month of August have free shipping - what a deal!
I'll be keeping my eye on her shop for sure...... I just can't wait to see what Aprils next kids bug necklace is named.......

4 comments:

April said...

Thanks a bunch for featuring me!! I should have at least one new bug out this week!

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

Great feature. Very talented!

=) melanie

New England Quilter said...

I have one of April's creations and I love it! Lovely feature!
Amy
http://newenglandquilter.blogspot.com/

Andrea Baker said...

I've nominated you for a bloggy award. Check out my blog for details.

http://andreabakerdesigns.com